Best Running Shoes For Rough Terrain in 2023
Salomon Men's Speedcross 4 Trail Running Shoes, Grape Leaf/Burnt Olive/Black, 13 Wide
Salomon Men's Speedcross 5 Trail Running Shoe, Black/Black/PHANTOM, 9 Wide
- TRAIL RUNNING SHOES: Featuring an aggressive grip, precise foothold, & protection, the Salomon Speedcross 5 is the ideal shoe for runners who want to conquer soft, technical trails.
- GET ROUGH: Redesigned with deep, sharp lugs for an improved grip & a more dynamic upper for better fit & stability, the Speedcross 5 is the perfect shoe for trail runners who aren't afraid of wet & dirty terrain.
- GO THE DISTANCE: Whether you love daily road running in your neighborhood, an escape to a local trail, or something more rugged, Salomon makes shoes that ensure you have a smooth ride on any & all terrain.
- TIME TO PLAY: Whether you are into trail running, hiking, backpacking, or mountaineering, Salomon has shoes & gear for kids, men & women to help you conquer a new distance, personal record, or event!
- SINCE 1947 Salomon has used our passion for outdoor sports & innovation to create progressive gear. Our road & trail running shoes, hiking sneakers, boots, & water shoes help make any path your own.
Saucony Men's Excursion TR11 Running Shoe, Black/Blue, 12 Medium US
- Grid supportive cushioning
- Durable rubber outsole
- Trail specific mesh
Inov-8 Womens X-Talon 230 - Lightweight OCR Trail Running Shoes - for Spartan, Obstacle Races and Mud Run - Grey/Teal 9 W US
- ➤ STICKY GRIP - The industry leading outsole rubber compound is softer and stickier than previous outsoles. Combined with the classic 8mm lugs, the shoe delivers better traction than its predecessor over both wet and dry underfoot conditions.
- ➤ NARROW FIT - A grade 1 precision fit holds the foot securely without being super narrow, whilst allowing some room for toe splay.
- ➤ ADDED PROTECTION - A flexible rock plate sits between the outsole and midsole of the shoe, providing enhanced underfoot protection against rocks and other obstacles.
- ➤ LIGHTWEIGHT - The flexible upper materials, protective rand and gusseted tongue are all non water absorbing, meaning the shoe remains at its light weight best.
- ➤ SIZE NOTE - The shoes come up a 1 on our fit scale (1 narrow - 5 wide).
La Sportiva Men's Wildcat Trail Running Shoe, Carbon/Flame, 43.5 M EU
- WELL CUSHIONED - Stable and neutral, the Wildcat is La Sportiva's most cushioned trail running shoe; Performs best in moderate to technical terrain
- SHOCK ABSORPTION - High-cushion midsole delivers all day comfort during long hikes, ultra-marathons, backcountry runs, and off road races; Nylon molded flex transfer shank and a layer of LaSpEVA provide added shock absorption for serious athletes
- LIGHTWEIGHT, BREATHABLE - Vented AirMesh uppers keep your feet cool on hot days, control moisture and prevent blisters without adding unnecessary weight to make the Wildcat an exceptional ultralight trail runner
- FULL CONTROL - Grippy FriXion AT sole with Impact Brake System and X-Axis provides traction and stability on slick trails or uneven terrain; Aggressive outsole bites into the trail while the one-piece molded lacing harness maintains a snug fit
- ANKLE SUPPORT - TPU transkinetic heel stabilizers and UreTech reinforcements provide the extra support and stability backcountry trail runners and ultralight backpackers need for high mileage days
ALTRA Men's AFM1953G Superior 4 Trail Running Shoe, Gray/Red - 10.5 D(M) US
- Quantic midsole
- Rounded heel
- Seamless upper
- Removable StoneGuard
Columbia Women's CALDORADO III Outdry Trail Running Shoe, steam, Crown Jewel, 8 B US
- Seamless OutDry breathable waterproof upper, coupled with cushioning collar foam, clean forefoot flex zone, and reinforced toe cap for comfort and protection.
- Fluid Foam midsole for exceptional cushioning, flexibility and support.
- Patented FluidGuide technology for enhanced midfoot stability and a smooth ride on the trail.
- Ride heights: 19mm heel / 11mm forefoot. Full length rubber outsole. TrailShield protection plate integrated with forefoot flex grooves.
- Multi-directional lug patterns provide traction on varied surfaces. 4mm outsole lug height.
ASICS Men's Gel-Kahana 8 Trail Runner, Shark/Black/True Red, 11.5 M US
- Rear foot GEL Cushioning System: Attenuates shock during impact phase and allows for a smooth transition to instance.
- SpEVA Midsole: Material Improves bounce-back characteristics and decreases midsole breakdown.
- DuoMax Support System: A dual-density midsole system positioned to enhance support and stability.
- Trusstic System: Reduces the weight of the sole unit while retaining the structural integrity of the shoe.
- Trail Specific Outsole: Reversed lugs provide uphill and downhill traction on all types of terrain. Fit Tip: If between sizes, order 0.5 size up ; Weight: 11.9 oz ; ASICS GEL-Kahana 8 is made for neutral- Foot Type:Normal size arches , Over- Foot Type :Low arches or flat feet.
adidas outdoor Men's Terrex AX3 GTX Hiking Boot, Grey Five/Black/Mesa, 13 M US
- Regular fit
- Lace closure
- Mesh and synthetic upper
- Gore-tex lining for waterproof, breathable performance; Continental Rubber outsole for extraordinary grip even in wet conditions
- Durable, Lightweight EVA midsole; molded sockliner
Salomon Men's Alphacross GTX Trail Running Shoes, Black/Ebony/Black, 11
- Aggressive Grip: Contagrip outsole features a versatile lug pattern that is ready for any surface, wet or dry
- Comfort: instant comfort from the first time you put it on. The mesh upper and proven Salomon fit deliver
- Weather protection: a full GORE-TEX membrane ensures year-round climate comfort to keep feet dry and moving forward
- closure type: lace-up
Baby MRAP: New Mine Resistant Vehicles Arrive in Afghanistan
The first mine resistant "all terrain" vehicles, known as Baby MRAP's, recently arrived in Afghanistan.
"This is a very different environment than Iraq, so as we came in and continued to fight the fight in Afghanistan, we realized it requires a little bit different equipment or modification than what we have," said Army Lt. Col. Richard Haggerty, the Regional Command-South deputy director for Acquisitions, Logistics and Technology.
The mine resistant vehicles that worked well in Iraq, MRAP's or mine resistant ambush protected vehicles, have not been able to handle the harsh environment of Afghanistan. The road system in Afghanistan is much less advanced than Iraq and transport vehicles require off-road capabilities. The hope is that these M-ATV's can meet the need of countering roadside bombs and traveling off-road in Afghanistan.
After months of government testing, the Department of Defense awarded a contract June 2020, to Oshkosh Corporation to supply an initial order valued at $1.05 billion for more than 2,000 M-ATVs. The M-ATV has acquired the name of "Baby MRAP" for its lightweight in comparison to the MRAP. The weight of an M-ATV is approximately 25,000 pounds compared to the 60,000-pound MRAP. The idea is to have a more mobile and lighter vehicle that still provides maximum IED protection. The cost of a Baby MRAP, $500,000, is only half of the $1 million standard MRAP model.
"It looks like a modified, huge, heavy-duty Jeep," said Anthony Deluca, the Kandahar site lead for the MRAP program. "It's got very good suspension systems, and everyone raves about how well it functions in the field."
This first shipment of Baby MRAP's arrived by air at Kandahar Airfield. With Afghanistan being a land-locked nation, the logistics of shipping equipment to that theater of operations is complex. Most high priority or sensitive cargo such as Baby MRAP's are sent by air. However, much of the cargo is sent by sealift to the port of Karachi, Pakistan and then sent by truck to Afghanistan.
To lower the cost of shipment and reduce airlift missions, some cargo sent to Afghanistan is trans-shipped. This method includes sending by sealift to a close location such as Kuwait or the UAE and then it is converted into containers. The containers are then shipped by air into Afghanistan.
The DOD aimed to field Baby MRAP's by the end of the 2020 calendar year and has far surpassed that goal.
DVIDS, "New M-ATV Arrives in Southern Afghanistan" Army Spc. Elisebet Freeberg